When it comes to cannabis, the number of strains available can certainly be overwhelming. Don’t worry, we’ve gone ahead and done some testing so you don’t have to!
For those looking for a sativa strain for their next session, this list is sure to help you out.
But first, what’s the difference between an indica and a sativa strain? And what benefits does a sativa strain have?
Read on to find out all about sativas and some of our favourite sativa strains we’d recommend.
Indica vs Sativa Strains
While you shouldn’t judge a strain by its label, cannabis is commonly narrowed down into two categories to make choosing easier.
These categories are usually indica and sativa strains.
Here’s a quick explanation:
Indica strains are usually sedative, commonly used for relaxation and reducing nausea. Indica plants are usually short and stout with broad leaves.
Due to their sleepy effects, indica strains are often used for the evening and nighttime.
Sativa lands on the other end of the spectrum and is basically the opposite of indica.
Sativa strains are usually uplifting and energizing, often used for anxiety, chronic pain, and focus.
Sativa plants are also the opposite of indica plants, growing tall with thin and narrow leaves.
Sativa strains usually won’t leave you super sleepy and couch-locked, making them perfect for daytime.
Hybrid strains are also super common.
These are usually indica-leaning, sativa-leaning, or a balance of the two.
Sativa Strain Benefits
There’s a wide variety of benefits you can get from using sativa strains. Here are some of the common sativa strain benefits:
Energizing and uplifting
If you want to avoid the slow feeling some cannabis strains provide, sativa strains are a good bet.
They’re known for being energizing and uplifting, great for a wake and bake or daytime sessions.
If you need to medicate but also need to get things done, a sativa strain will allow you to reap the benefits without falling asleep.
This also makes sativa strains a great choice for socializing. Some strains are also great for treating depression.
Great for chronic pain
There are a number of sativa strains that I use for migraine relief, and chronic pain is a big reason a number of cannabis users reach for sativa strains.
Sativas are often higher in THC, making them great for putting both your mind and muscles at ease.
And thanks to its energizing effects, you can medicate without having to be confined to your bed.
Good for getting creative
There’s a reason a number of artist’s use cannabis. One of the main effects of sativa strains is that they tend to enhance creativity.
Since sativa strains often come along with cerebral effects, it’s great for tapping into your creative side, or for daytime events.
These cerebral effects combined with its energizing and uplifting qualities along with the common “mind-high” make some sativa strains a top choice for creatives.
Helps with focus
Whether you’re creative or not, sativa strains will usually help you focus.
Since they don’t usually knock you out or give you that intense relaxation that some indica strains can, they’re great for getting tasks done.
Our Top 5 Sativa Strains
Now that you know a little more about sativa strains, here are some of our favourites.
I mostly use it for migraine relief but it’s great for an extra uplifting boost as well. It’s kind of a like a good smoothie from an upscale wellness bar in that way.
Blue Dream is usually a sativa-leaning hybrid. I usually have a strain with a balance of 60% sativa/40% indica, but I know a lot of people who’ve had it more balanced (50/50).
Blue Dream is a cross between the Blueberry and Haze strains and usually has a higher CBD content than other sativa strains.
- Smell: Light + slightly fruity. (I don’t get a huge hit of blueberries when using Blue Dream, but the smell is quite inviting and fresh).
- Taste: Sweet + light. (Blue Dream tastes fruitier on the tongue than it does on the nose, but still doesn’t have an overpowering taste).
- High: Uplifting + relaxing + focused. (Blue Dream gives a clear, uplifting high, quickly sweeping away the feelings of chronic pain).
- Recommended for: pain relief, anxiety, tiredness, day-time relaxation
Sour Diesel is a classic sativa strain usually boasting a high THC content.
A favourite amongst a number of cannabis users, Sour Diesel leans almost entirely on the sativa side.
“Sour D” is known for being quite potent and is commonly used to create other cannabis strains.
While Sour Diesel is a great uplifting sativa strain, its high potency can sometimes leave you feeling groggy if a lot is used.
- Smell: Strong + sweet + floral + gas-y (Sour D smells intoxicatingly pungent. You can almost smell the potency it’s known for having with a hint of floral notes).
- Taste: Sweet + sour (tasting similarly to how it smells, sour diesel fills the mouth with a full-flavoured tang alongside some earthiness).
- The High: Focused + creative + relaxing. (Sour Diesel gives another great clear-headed high, leaving you focused and energized without feeling like you’ve had a big cup of coffee).
- Recommended for: creativity, focus, day-time sessions, social outings, day-time relaxation, pain relief
Girl Scout Cookies
GSC is actually a hybrid strain that often leans more on the indica side but it’s cerebral and uplifting effects make it a great choice for a sativa strain.
Made from a cross between OG Kush and a Durban Poison hybrid, Girl Scout Cookies is a classic sativa strain favourited by many.
- Smell: Sweet + floral + earthy (of course a strain called Girl Scout Cookies will have a sweet scent, but it’s surprisingly not too sweet).
- Taste: Earthy + skunky (don’t expect GSC to taste like an actual cookie. That said, the earthy, skunky flavours do carry a small fruity hint).
- The High: Cerebral + creative + relaxed + giddy (GSC has one of my favourite highs. It’s floaty and talkative – really gets the mind going yet you’ll stay relaxed and happily giddy).
- Recommended for: creativity, social gatherings, Netflix + chill, pain relief
I discovered Moby Dick when I was hunting down strains to combat migraines and fell in love.
Made from a cross between two favourite strains, White Widow and Haze, Moby Dick is another potent strain with high THC levels.
It’s often used as a medicinal strain, great for treating chronic pain, PTSD and depression.
- Smell: Citrus + fruity. (I love the fruity, citrusy smell of Moby Dick – I swear just smelling it is healing).
- Taste: Earthy + lemon (The citrus makes a subtle appearance in the taste, but overall you’ll get a full, earthy puff).
- High: Energizing + focused. (Moby Dick will get you going once you’re down. Perfect for day-time and mornings).
- Recommended for: pain relief, focusing, morning sessions
Maui Waui (Wowie)
This is the strain you want to take on vacation thanks to its tropical smell and relaxing qualities.
- Smell: Fruity + citrus. (the smell is what stands out most when it comes to Maui Waui. It smells like you’re about to sesh on the beach).
- Taste: Fruity + citrus. (this strain smells just like it tastes – expect a full last of citrusy, fruity goodness ).
- High: Uplifting + energizing + relaxing. (while this strain is perfect for a day on the town or at the beach, it’ll keep you energized to get shit done).
- Recommended for: day-time relaxation, morning session
What are your favourite sativa strains?